Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Oh, Fifty Shades of Grey...You Dirty Slut.

I’m sorry Fifty Shades of Grey lovers…I’m sorry I have to do this.

First, I admit it. I’ve watched the trailer for this movie and drooled down my chin on numerous occasions. I’m human. 

To both parties on the sides of this…thing. I don’t know what else you would call it honestly. Debate? That doesn’t really fit. Argument? Eh, maybe. Thing just fits best. STAHP. Please. I beg of you. I want to make a special call out to the people who think this is literature and silver screen gold. You all need to read better books and watch more movies.

I find it comical the stir this movie has caused. It has quite literally generated another uproar on my social media feeds. People are damning people to hell for watching it, while other people are offended since it is "flawless art."

It. Is. A. Movie.

How dare I say such blasphemous things on the world wide web! How dare I challenge the status quo set by red-blooded American women everywhere who read this book!

It. Is. A. Movie.

People's motivation to see movies rarely extends past, "Oh I love -insert actor here." They see something that is appealing, they go watch it. It explains why my kids have watched Frozen a gazillion times. It interests them. It doesn’t go much further than that. The same holds true for adults and by extension this movie.

Come on people! It’s smutty fiction written by a woman who was in love with her characters…we saw the tween disaster version of this with Twilight

At the end of the day - who flipping cares? Overly drawn out Harlequin novels have been around for ages. The only difference is this one has attractive people instead of the oiled up dreamboat of the 80s.

I tried to read this book by the way - it was horrid writing and I couldn’t even get past the first chapter. Even when I skipped ahead to the dirty parts, which I admittedly did, it was painful to try and read those too.

But am I going to watch it? Duh…a hot boy with bondage gear?! Sign this mama up! Ow ow! Am I going to lose sleep over the fact that people on my news feed will be offended? Ha. Do you know me at all? 

So, I'm sorry Fifty Shades of Grey fans that I have to call your amazing book crap. I'm still going to see the movie and drool by your side, so that has to count for something, right? 

Follow me on Twitter @TheAshleyPrice

No comments:

Post a Comment