Wednesday, August 10, 2011

It's Just Those Rainy Days

For those of you not from around here, or just completely oblivious to the ridiculous amount of heat we have been having this summer, the south has been in a bit of a drought. Extreme drought is what they called it on the weather this morning…and let’s be honest – it stinks.

Fortunately, last night and today since it has started raining, it has been a very VERY welcome sight J I am actually hoping that it rains all night and most of tomorrow so that I can adorn my completely adorable rain boots, so fingers crossed!

But all of this rain has kept me indoors and given me a lot of time to think of the things I LOVE about the rain. So in order to keep Zeus happy, and keep the rain a coming, I have decided to dedicate this blog post to my most favorite weather system…Rain – and all the things I love about it!

1.   Puddles. I love…L-O-V-E…splashing in puddles. It seemed a little odd doing it alone before you had kids, but now that you have them, you can splash equally, without fear of looking like a completely goof.
2.   Indoor Games. What better time to break out some Twister, Hide and Seek, Monopoly, or my personal favorite, Mario Party N64. Yes, I have whooped many booties at Mario Party on rainy days…
3.   Rainy Day Appetite. For some odd reason, I tend to crave chocolate more so on rainy days than any other days, not to mention chili, hot cocoa, and grilled cheese sandwiches. Nostalgic childhood foods? Yes, I think so.
4.   Cuddle Time. Need I say more? Whether it is with a book, the hubby, the kiddos, or all of the above, being cuddled up with a cozy Razorback blanket and listening to it rain makes for a pretty good day.
5.   Rainy day music. What is this, you ask? YES! There are a plethora of rainy day songs that just make the world go ‘round. Rainy Dayz by Ja Rule & Mary J. Blige, Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head by B.J. Thomas and Rainy Days and Mondays by the Mamas and the Papas. Unfortunately Rainy Days and Mondays is a bit of a downer…but you get the idea. Tons of songs dedicated to rain.
6.   The Rainy Day Movie List. This could literally go on forever if I let it, but there are about 5 movies that just deserve to be watched on rainy days.
a.    New Moon. Hello, show me ONE person who wouldn’t be thrilled seeing a tan, hot, Taylor Lautner in the rain in HD in your living room while it’s raining outside. Thank you Summit Entertainment…thank you.
b.   You’ve Got Mail. Simple classic feel good movie. Who couldn’t love this on a rainy day??
c.    The Notebook. Again, who wouldn’t want to watch Ryan Gosling rowing a boat in the rain? Not I. Please deal me that hand.
d.   Singin’ in the Rain. Self-explanatory, at least I hope it is. Gene Kelly is just…uh-mazing. If this movie doesn’t make you want to get up and go play in the rain, then you should just move to the desert.
e.    Last, but NEVER least, Just Friends. My ALL TIME FAVORITE movie ever. If you haven’t exposed yourself to this hilarious Ryan Reynolds comedy yet, I HIGHLY suggest that you do so. Now. Go, now, you’re still sitting here reading…hurry!
7.   Rainy Day Attire. Score! Rainy days give you so MANY different wardrobe opportunities, even in the middle of summer. You can wear rain boots, rain coats, have cute umbrellas OR if you choose to stay inside, it is perfectly acceptable to perform any of the tasks on this list in yoga pants and your husband’s Razorback hoodie.
8.   Coloring. Yes, I said it. I am a HUGE coloring fan. Give me a coloring book full of adorable puppies, a package of Crayola markers and crayons and I will literally decorate an entire refrigerator in less than an hour. Especially on rainy days. I even draw in my own little rain drops so they are weather appropriate.
9.   Sleep. I honestly cannot think of a time that I have ever slept better than during thunderstorms and rainy nights. It is so hard to get out of bed in the morning because of it. I could lay in bed and listen to it rain for hours.
10. “Rain” Dancing. Love going outside and playing in the rain! Dancing around and smelling the wet dirt. That’s kind of strange, but I LOVE the smell of the outdoors when it rains. Everything is so fresh and renewed.

So that is my blog post dedicated to rain and all the things I love about the rainy days…Feel free to share your favorite rainy day things in the comment sections! And make sure you follow me on twitter for Funny Things I’m Thankful For, Bad Ideas, and HILARIOUS things that my kids, and myself say! @JackNFishersMom

No comments:

Post a Comment